Central Violations Bureau Visit www.uscourts.gov Central Violations Bureau

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Central Violations Bureau?
The Central Violations Bureau is a national center responsible for processing violation notices (tickets) issued and payments received for petty offenses charged on a federal violation notice. This includes violations that occur on federal property such as federal buildings, national parks, military installations, post offices, Veteran Affairs medical centers, national wildlife refuges, and national forests. The Central Violations Bureau processes violation notices for violations of federal law that occur outside federal property as well. For example, migratory bird offenses that occur on private property.
How do I know if I received a federal ticket?
This site is designed to allow on-line payments of FEDERAL TICKETS ONLY!  Click here to see an image of a federal ticket. If the ticket you received does not say "U.S. District Court Violation Notice" across the top, then you did not receive a federal ticket. Federal tickets are issued by law enforcement personnel from agencies such as the U.S. Park Police, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, Department of Defense Police, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Provost Marshal, Airforce, Marines & Navy Security Forces, U.S. Postal Police, U.S. Customs, U.S. Border Police, and V.A. Police.
How can I pay a ticket?
You can pay on-line by clicking here.  You may also make a payment by calling the Central Violations Bureau during normal business hours at (800) 827-2982 or mail a check or money order to:

Central Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 71363
Philadelphia, PA 19176-1363

Make sure to include the location code and violation number on your payment.
How can I check the status of a ticket?
Contact the Central Violations Bureau by calling 800-827-2982.  Use option 4 to hear an automated recording with the status of your ticket.
I want to contest my ticket in court, but I don't have a court date written on my ticket.
You will be notified by the Central Violations Bureau of your court date by mail.  You will receive a Notice to Appear usually within 4 to 8 weeks from issuance of the ticket.
I received a violation notice, it is marked mandatory, do I have to appear in court?
Yes, appearance is mandatory.
When is my payment due by?
All payments must be received on or before the scheduled court date.
What if I pay my ticket the day of court on-line?
The court will be notified of your payment. You will not have to appear in court.
What happens if I don't pay the ticket or appear in court and I have a Virginia Driver License?
Failure to pay the collateral amount due or to appear in court on the date and time scheduled for you will result in the suspension of your driving privileges and/or vehicle registration. If your driving privileges and/or vehicle registration have been suspended by the Virginia state DMV, you must pay the violation notice in full or appear in court before the suspension will be released. If you pay your violation notice in full through this website, the suspension will be released automatically within 48 business hours. If you are attempting to reinstate your driving privileges sooner, you must contact the CVB. Additional fees will apply for expediting the release. Please note: if your driving privilege is suspended, a reinstatement fee will also be assessed by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.

NOTICE: If you received a similar copy of this suspension letter from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, you must pay the total amount due on the violation notice to have your drivers license reinstated. Once the balance due is received in full at the CVB, notification will be electronically transmitted to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles automatically. You will be required to pay a reinstatement fee to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain a release. The reinstatement fee is in addition to the amount owed for the ticket and should be paid directly to the state.
What happens if I don't pay the ticket or appear in court?
If you fail to pay the amount due or to appear in court on the date and time scheduled, the United States District Court may issue a summons ordering you to appear or issue a warrant for your arrest. If you are charged with a motor-vehicle violation, the court may also report your failure to pay or appear to your state's motor-vehicle or driver-licensing agency, which may affect your driving privileges, or your vehicle registration, or both.
I received a notice to appear, but I mailed my payment three weeks ago, did you receive my payment?
Contact the Central Violations Bureau by calling 800-827-2982.  Use option 4 to hear an automated recording with the status of your ticket.
I received a ticket, but I have moved.  How can I change my address?
Address change requests must be submitted in writing to the Central Violations Bureau.   You may send a fax to 210-301-6401, email to info@cvb.uscourts.gov or mail to:

Central Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 780549
San Antonio, TX 78278-0549
I informed the DMV and/or the law enforcement agency that issued the ticket of my new address.  Do I still need to submit a change of address to the Central Violations Bureau?
Yes.  The state DMV offices and law enforcement agencies do not notify the Central Violations Bureau of an address change.
Can I take drivers course/traffic school/defensive driving?
Please appear on your scheduled court date for any special requests.
Can I request community service, probation, or deferred prosecution?
Please appear on your scheduled court date for any special requests.
Where can I find directions to the court?
Use the Court Links on this website for all court information.
If I submit correspondence regarding my violation, do I still have to appear in court?
Yes, unless you receive guidance from the court instructing you otherwise.
I received a moving violation (i.e. a speeding ticket.) How many points will be assessed against my drivers license?
You will have to contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles or Licensing to determine the point value of the offense. The Central Violations Bureau does not maintain this information.
Where does the money go when I pay a ticket?
Funds collected from the payment of petty offense cases are deposited into the Crime Victims Fund. The Crime Victims Fund was established by the Victims of Crime Act of 1984 and is a major funding source for victim services throughout the country. For more information about the Crime Victims Fund and how the funds are disbursed, visit the Office for Victims of Crime website at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/ . The $25 processing fee is used to offset court costs.
Will I be charged a fee if my check or electronic payment is returned from my bank for lack of funds?
Yes, there is a $53 fee for payments returned to the court for non-payment. See the District Court Fee Schedule for a detailed list of fees. Additional bank fees may apply depending on your financial institution.
How do I obtain a release for my driver license or vehicle's registration?
All releases are processed automatically once a fine is paid in full or the case is dismissed. They are processed in accordance with the policies of the Department of Motor Vehicles of your state and may require several weeks to become effective . There is no additional fee assessed by the Central Violations Bureau to issue a release.
How may I obtain a copy of the complete statement of the charge(s) against me?
You may obtain a copy of the statement by calling 800-827-2982 or submitting a written request to the Central Violations Bureau through email, fax or mail. The request must contain the CVB Location Code, Violation Number, defendant name and contact phone number. Any information missing will delay the request. Please allow 30 days from the date of issuance for the CVB to receive a copy of the ticket from the law enforcement agency.

The email address is: info@cvb.uscourts.gov
The fax number is: (210) 301-6401
The mailing address is:    Central Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 780549
San Antonio, TX 78278-0549
How do I get a refund for an over payment?
Defendants must submit a letter of request along with a Refund Form to receive a refund for payments made to the Central Violations Bureau. The request can not be processed without both a letter of request and form. Click here for a copy of the Refund Form. For information regarding the purpose of the refund form please see the United States Treasury website. Please allow 4-6 weeks for payment processing. In most cases refunds will be issued via electronic funds transfer. The refund will appear as a credit to your checking or savings account.
  NOTE: The document listed above is in Adobe's Portable Document Format (pdf). In order to view pdf documents, you must have Adobe's Acrobat Reader. This reader is available free at the Adobe web site.
  Get Adobe Acrobat Reader